Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Young Inspiration ...

This post comes with a heavy heart just 5 days after learning of a sweet girl who was diagnosed with mast cell leukemia.  I hold back tears as I type.  Sloan, 13 years old, who I recall well as a bright and silly teenage girl.  And, a natural beauty.  She began her chemo treatments this week. 
Let me back up.  I met Sloan and her parents after her mom, Kate, was referred to me by a mutual friend.  Kate contacted me to photograph her family and we scheduled a shoot shortly after.

Just to paint a picture for you ...  I arrived in their familiar and charming neighborhood which I knew ahead would be a beautiful backdrop ... to find a giant crane and many 100 foot tall tree trunks in their driveway.  Kate did mention ahead that trees were being removed from their backyard and they would be gone.  Before knocking on their door, I did a quick scan of their lot, the surrounding areas (other neighbors yards) and just made the best of the situation.  I wish life was that easy sometimes.

I had a great experience with the Chambers, they were so welcoming, kind and very apologetic.  One of my favorite shots is of them sitting on a bench laughing (tears and all) as I am balancing myself on the tree trunks, as the bench is sinking into the ground beneath them due to the soft ground.
Talk about an "ice breaker"!


I photographed Sloan by herself.  She was so easy to photograph, just beautiful.  Kate was openly gracious after seeing the photos and sent me their Christmas card.  I hoped our paths would cross again someday soon.  What a nice family.  I never imagined our paths would cross again under these circumstances.  I have contacted the Chambers and in the process of putting together something for Sloan's "wall of art".


 Our mutual friend is Caroline Simas, http://carolinesimas.blogspot.com.  She is collecting artwork and to cover the walls in Sloan's hospital room.  Caroline's wish is "to cover her walls with beautiful and uplifting art to make her feel more at home".  This should be very inspiring for Sloan and her parents during this journey. 
  
Please keep the Chambers in your thoughts.  They have set up a Caring Bridge page and Sloan even posted today.  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sloanchambers 

Be Inspired,  Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment